Call for papers:
4th China and The Middle East Conference:
China and West Asia: Economic Development; and Social and Political Cooperation
Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University
Cappadocia - TURKEY
June 20-22, 2018
Co-sponsored by Cappadocia University, Republic of Turkey
Description and Objectives:
Over the last two years, with the One Belt One Road initiative, we have seen the increase of Chinese political and social activities in the Middle East region. As a result of this new political strategy, the PRC started to play a more active role within the Middle Eastern political arena. Hence, Xi Jinping visited Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. Additionally, Chinese social and cultural activities began to appear more visibly within universities and educational institutions in the Middle East. Hanban Institutes started to open and finance Confucius Institutes in the region that facilitate Chinese cultural and language classes and promote mutual understanding between China and the Middle East. For example, these institutes have arisen in Turkey, Israel, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, UAE, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Morocco. China has also become one of the largest economic and trade partners with Middle Eastern states such as Iran, Turkey, Pakistan, Egypt, and Israel. Therefore, we would like to make this academic initiative a permanent conference meeting, and each year, we will organize a China and the Middle East Conference in different countries in collaboration with other universities. We organized three very successful academic conferences on this topic in collaboration with Beijing University, on March 17-18, 2015, Qatar University, on March 23-24, 2016 and Shanghai University, on June 7-8, 2017
This year we have expanded the conference topic to the broader context of West Asia and Central Asia. All submissions should be related to contemporary themes of global studies, sociology, economics, political science, international relations, history and anthropology.
We therefore invite submissions on the following and related topics:
The Making of Middle East
Modern Middle East and Modern China
China’s Foreign Policy Toward Middle East/West Asia
Society and Culture
The Belt and Road Initiative
Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University, Shanghai University and Cappadocia University (Co-Sponsored) invite interested scholars and advanced graduate students to submit proposals for the conference below. The event will take place at Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University, June 20 - 22, 2018. Please submit your proposal to Dr. Tugrul Keskin (email@example.com) by APRIL 16, 2018. We acknowledge receipt of all emails and will reply to all. If you do not receive a reply, please resend your abstract.
Please include the following in your email:
-Author full name;
-Abstract in Word format (200 to 300 words);
-Title of your paper
-A short BIO (NOT A CV)
Acceptance notices will be sent by April 20, 2018.
In case your abstract is accepted, a draft paper of around 4000 words is due two weeks prior to the beginning of the conference. We intend to compile an edited volume with the best papers for publication in an international reference publisher.
There is no fee for this conference. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL COVER YOUR ACCOMMODATIONS (5 nights: June 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23, 2018) AND FOOD DURING YOUR STAY IN CAPPADOCIA.
Please note that this is an academic conference only, no non-academic presenters will be accepted.
Any additional queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Mazhar Bagli, President, Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University.
- Dr. Guo Changgang, Professor - Shanghai University, China.
- Dr. Hasan Ali Karasar, President - Cappadocia University.
- Dr. Ertan Ozensel, Vice President - Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University.
- Dr. Mohammedmoin Sadeq, Professor - Qatar University, Qatar.
- Dr. Gokhan Bozbas, Assistant Professor – Necmettin Erbakan University
- Dr. Fatih Kaleci, Assistant Professor – Necmettin Erbakan University
- Dr. M. Cüneyt Özşahin, Assistant Professor – Necmettin Erbakan University
- Dr. Chen Hao, Assistant Professor – Shanghai University, China.
- Dr. Tugrul Keskin, Associate Professor - Shanghai University, China.
- Dr. Mark Juergensmeyer, Professor - University of California at Santa Barbara, USA.
- Dr. Tarik Yousef, Senior Fellow and Director, Brookings Doha Center, Qatar.
- Dr. Sean Foley, Associate Professor - Middle Tennessee State University, USA.
- Dr. Mojtaba Mahdavi, Associate Professor - University of Alberta, Canada.
- Dr. Nissim Otmazgin, Professor – The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
- Dr. Juan Cole, Professor - University of Michigan, USA.
- Dr. Yunus Emre, Associate Professor – Kultur University, Turkey.
- Dr. Geoffrey Gresh, National Defense University, USA.
- Dr. Yang Chen, Post-Doctoral Fellow - Shanghai University, China.
June 20, 2018
9:15 - 9:30 Welcome Speech and Introduction by the president of Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University
9:30 - 9:50 Keynote Speech by ALEV ALATLI
- Panel 1: 10:00 – 11:45
12:00-13:00 PM Lunch
- Panel 2: 13:15-15:00
- Panel 3: 15:15-17:00
DINNER 18:00 - 20:00
June 21, 2018
- Panel 4: 10:00 – 12:00
12:15-13:15 PM Lunch
- Panel 5: 13:30 – 15:30
- Discussion for future projects and Closing Remarks by TBA 16:00 – 17:00
RECEPTION AND DINNER HOSTED BY CAPPADOCIA UNIVERSITY 18:00 - 20:00
June 22, 2018
BUS TOUR OF CAPPADOCIA