Thursday, June 16, 2016

The New Tech Triangle: China, US, Israel

FORBES - Jun 14, 2016 

Rebecca Fannin

I remember all too well when my first book, Silicon Dragon, was released. It was before its time in predicting that China would get ahead in tech innovation and rival the U.S. for leadership. That was a message that Silicon Valley wished would just go away.  But it didn’t, and today, Baidu BIDU +0.21%, Alibaba , Tencent, Xiaomi, DJI, Letv and others are here to prove their domination not only in China but increasingly the world. I went on to write a second book, Startup Asia, which forecast that the wave of innovation from China would hit India next. That was also premature, and hasn’t quite realized its potential yet.  Today, we are at the forefront of another major trend that is shaking the venture world. I am talking about the intersection of China with Israel and the U.S. for tech innovation. This is the new tech triangle. It hasn’t really been discovered yet by the mainstream but this time I think my timing is right.  Increasingly, I am seeing that startups and venture funds that can leverage  China-Israel-US links are getting ahead. It is not just for market expansion but also for research and development, technology breakthroughs and funding. This trend spans many sectors from biotech to security to digital media.

READ MORE....