Sunday, November 11, 2018

China Fixates on AI and Trump

By Junko Yoshida

EETimes - 11.11.18

On the first night I arrived in Shenzhen, I saw a local friend of mine. The first question I asked her was: "What has changed China since last I saw you?" Without hesitation, she said: "AI and Trump."
I arrived in Shenzhen for the Global CEO Summit two days early last week so I could spend time with a local friend I had not seen since my last trip here in 2016. My friend started her career as an engineer in China and is now on a business development/management track at a technology company based in Shanghai and Silicon Valley.
The first question I asked her was: “What has changed China since last I saw you?” 
Without hesitation, she said: “AI and Trump.”
In the United States, artificial intelligence and a president whose intelligence has been questioned by his own staff would seem to be unrelated topics. However, in China, at least in the technology community, they are closely intertwined.